What is Type 1 Diabetes (T1D)?
- It is a life-threatening autoimmune disease.
- The pancreas stops producing insulin, a hormone essential to get energy from food.
- T1D cannot be prevented.
- T1D strikes both children and adults.
- Despite active research, T1D has no cure.
To raise funds to support cure based research for Type 1 Diabetes, to provide education about Type 1 Diabetes and to increase awareness of Type 1 Diabetes.
The primary goal of the Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation is to raise funds to support cure based research of this terrible disease. The funded research projects would focus mainly on two objectives:
- Finding ways to transplant new insulin producing cells into persons with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Creating devices to perform the duties of the malfunctioning cells.
Our Co-founders' Daughters
Upcoming Events / Announcements
- Date Change: The 2023 Gala will be held on Saturday, June 17th
- See the 2023 Gala page for more information.
Past Events / Announcements
- A $4,000 Money Giveaway was held June 10, 2022 at the Swiss Club Altoona (outside in the pavilion) from 5-10pm. $100.00 admitted two (2) ADULTS. Ticket included money drawing, appetizers, dinner, free draft beer and fountain soda; otherwise it was a cash bar. Additionally, there were 50/50's and a basket drawing. Nathan Glunt entertained after the drawing.
—July 12, 2022—Thank you to everyone who came out and supported our first money raffle at the Swiss Club! We raised enough money to donate to both Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation and Joslin Diabetes Center. All monies are specifically designated for T1D cure based research! A HUGE thank you to all of our volunteers, those who donated baskets, my family and Nathan Glunt for putting on a spectacular show! Can't wait to have the Gala again but this was a new opportunity to raise money and awareness for our cause. BTW - the Gala is March 4, 2023!!!
- The 2022 Gala is cancelled! Read more about it!
- January 2021 Community Letter — No Gala in 2021 — Read more about it!
- American Diabetes Association — Project Power — Read more about it!
- JDRF — Promise to Remember Me — Read more about it!
- UPMC Children's and Pitt Researcher Receives $2.59 Million NIH Grant for Diabetes Gene Therapy - Thank you for helping us #Take1Down!!
- Announcing the 2020 Gala beneficiary thank you notes have been posted!
- 2020 Fourth Annual Gala February 29, 2020.
- October 23, 2019 thank you letter from Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh to Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation for its $10,000 donation!
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: November 07, 2019.
- Ham Pot Pie Fundraiser, November 17, 2019.
- Third Annual Gala February 23, 2019
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: December 12, 2018
- The Clay Cup Fundraiser, December 12–15, 2018
- Pot Pie Fundraiser November 11, 2018
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: November 15, 2018
- Diabetes Camp Scholarship April 1, 2018
- 2018 Bourbon Street Gala: February 24, 2018
- Altoona Mirror article about the 2018 Gala: January 14, 2018
- WTAJ — We Are Central PA Live: November 14, 2017 — World Diabetes Day
- Kids Rule at Texas Roadhouse: August 15, 2017
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: June 29, 2017
- Tour Joslin Diabetes Center: June 5, 2017
- Easter Brunch — Hollidaysburg YMCA: April 8, 2017
- Inaugural Mardi Gras Gala: February 25, 2017
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: December 29, 2016
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: November 17, 2016
- Fabulous Family Fun Night - Hollidaysburg YMCA: November 12, 2016
- WTAJ — We Are Central PA Live: November 11, 2016
- WTAJ — Newton helps raise awareness for type 1 diabetes: July 12, 2016
Day in the Life... as told in 2016/2017
AdultsShow Links . . .
- JDRF Fact Sheet: What is LADA? Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults
- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults
- The Other Diabetes: LADA, or Type 1.5
- What is LADA
ArticlesShow Links . . .
- 7 Things I Wish People Knew About Type 1 Diabetes
- All The Things They Don't Tell You After Being Diagnosed
- Altoona Mirror names Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation as Blair County Nonprofit of the Month
- Diabetes Burnout
- Finding a Wingman with T1D
- First Aid for People with Diabetes
- Food and type 1 diabetes: What school staff need to know
- Hoosiers with Diabetes Petition Indiana General Assembly to Study Drug Pricing
- How Can I Pay for Diabetes Medications and Care?
- How to Manage your Diabetes When its Hot Outside
- How to Talk About Diabetes
- I Can't Sleep
- Myths About Diabetes
- New paper finds EMTs cannot administer glucagon
- Nick Jonas
- T1D in the News - JDRF
- Team Schnak Speaks to Students on T1 Diabetes Awareness
- Top 10 Myths About Type 1 Diabetes
- Why People With Type 1 Shouldn't Compare Themselves with Others
BlogsShow Links . . .
- Back to School: Tips for Providing Adequate Type 1 Diabetes Care in a School Environment
- How to Talk Diabetes in College
- I'm a D-Mom Battling Type 1 Diabetes Alongside my Hero
- Raising Kids & My Own Diabetes: The Challenge I've Always Worked Toward
- Sweetly Voiced
- What I want Others to Understand about Diabetes - The Diabetic Journey
BooksShow Links . . .
- Beating the Odds: 64 Years of Diabetes Health
- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
- Elle and Coach
- Think Like a Pancreas
CampsShow Links . . .
- Children with Diabetes Resource list of camps throughout the US, Canada, and Latin America
- Maryland Overnight Camps; Camp Possibilities Darlington, MD; (302) 563-9460; Ages 8 - 15
- Maryland Overnight Camps; Diabetes Destiny: Extreme Weekend For Children and Young Adults with Diabetes North East, MD; (410) 858-8646; Ages 8 - 17 (Boys and Girls)
- Massachusetts Resident and Overnight; Clara Barton/Camp Joslin Massachusetts; (508) 987-2056; Resident and Family Camps; Offers Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions
- American Diabetes Association Camps
- Pennsylvania Overnight Camps; Camp Freedom, (American Diabetes Association) Schwenksville, PA; (610) 828-5003 ext. 4643; Ages 7 - 16
- Pennsylvania Overnight Camps; Setebaid Diabetes Camps Bethel & Mifflinburg, PA; (570) 524-9090
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Holiday Trails Charlottesville, VA;(434) 977-3781; Resident (young/with sibling & regular) and Family Camps; Multi-chronic conditions and sessions
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Kno-Koma Monongahela National Forest (near Anthony); (844) 560-9987; Ages 7 - 15
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Take Charge of Diabetes (Children's National Medical Center), High View, VA; (202) 476-5142; Family Camp: (Ages 5 - 9+); Resident (Ages 10 - 17)
Etiquette and FactsShow Links . . .
Federal Drug Administration (FDA)Show Links . . .
ForumsShow Links . . .
- American Diabetes Association
- Beyond Type 1 Forum
- Diabetes Daily Forum
- Diabetes Forum
- JDRF TypeOneNation
- Joslin Diabetes Center Discussion Boards
- TuDiabetes (Your Diabetes) Forum
HistoryShow Links . . .
- 5 Little Known Facts about Dr. Frederick Banting
- Discovery of Insulin
- History of Diabetes
- World Diabetes Day
HumorShow Links . . .
- 29 Things Only a Person with Diabetes would understand
- Breaking Up with Diabetes
- Things Only Someone with Diabetes Would Understand
InsulinShow Links . . .
- 100 Years of Insulin!
- He lost his insurance and turned to a cheaper form of insulin. It was a fatal decision.
- Sign the Petition to Make Insulin Affordable
- Video - Insulin Access and Affordability: The Rising Cost of Treatment - Tuesday, May 8, 2018
ManagementShow Links . . .
- Glooko and Diasend
- Sleep: The Most Forgotten Blood Sugar Strategy
- Tight Diabetes Control
- Type 1 University
Parents/Caretakers of Babies, Children, AdolescentsShow Links . . .
- 13 Things All Teachers Should Know about Type 1 Diabetes
- ER Doctor Ordered Insulin When She Was Hypoglycemic
- New to Type 1 Diabetes? Information for Parents
- The Dread of Being a 'Bad' T1 Patient
Parents/Caretakers of TeensShow Links . . .
- In the Spotlight: How Teen Hormones affect Blood Sugar
- Parenting Your Teen with Type 1 Diabetes
- When a Teen Stops Treating His Type 1
PregnancyShow Links . . .
ProductsShow Links . . .
- CGM: Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor
- Counting Carbs: AccuChef Home Recipe Nutrition Calculator
- Counting Carbs: Living Cookbook Home Recipe Nutrition Calculator
- Pumps: Animas Insulin Pumps
- Pumps: Medtronic Insulin Pump
- Pumps: OmniPod Insulin Pump
- Pumps: One Touch Ping Insulin Pump and Glucose Meter
- Pumps: Tandem Diabetes Insulin Pumps
- Supplies: A Bluetooth-Enabled Smart Cap for Insulin Pens: Common Sensing's Gocap
- Supplies: Bigfoot & Abbott to Automate Insulin Delivery without Finger Sticks
- Supplies: Frio Insulin Cooling
- Supplies: Pump Peelz
- Supplies: Shapeways Cases
- Supplies: Shapeways OmniPod Personalized Battery Covers
- Supplies: Sugar Medical
- Supplies: Tips for Affording Diabetic Supplies
RecallsShow Links . . .
- September 11, 2017 FDA Announces Voluntary Recall Medtronic Infusion Sets and Medtronic Product and Safety Notice
ResearchShow Links . . .
- 5-module CAR-T cells show promise...
- Beta Cells: Signal Problems and How to Keep Them
- Bionic Pancreas Passes Critical Science Hurdle
- City of Hope Sets New Goal for Type 1 Diabetes Care
- Diabetes Research Institute
- DRI BioHub
- Harvard Gazette
- Islet Cell Research
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Promising Innovation in T1D Early Detection Emerge Victorious at Diabetes Innovation Challenge
- Regrowth of Beta Cells with Small Molecule Therapy
- Top T1D Advances for 2016 - JDRF
SitesShow Links . . .
- American Diabetes Association
- Beyond Type 1
- D Life
- Diabetes Daily
- Integrated Diabetes
- TuDiabetes (Your Diabetes)
VideosShow Links . . .
- Aidan talks about diabetes and invites you to come to the Gala.
- Bella, diabetes, and her service dog, Newton.
- Children with diabetes
- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University
- Dr. Travis Stork — Differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Ethan shares his ten-year history with diabetes and school.
- How dogs sniff out diabetes
- Inside the DRI's Pancreatic Stem Cell Lab
- Insulin Access and Affordability: The Rising Cost of Treatment - Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Kailyn's diabetes story and invitation to come to the Gala.
- Researchers in Colorado are hoping stem cells can help the diabetic
- The Diabetic Journey
- The Hardest Thing About Diabetes Isn't What They Think It Is...
- Tips for Parenting a T1D - YouTube
- Type 1 Diabetes Awareness: 'This is our Journey'