What is Type 1 Diabetes (T1D)?
- It is a life-threatening autoimmune disease.
- The pancreas stops producing insulin, a hormone essential to get energy from food.
- T1D cannot be prevented.
- T1D strikes both children and adults.
- Despite active research, T1D has no cure.
To raise funds to support cure based research for Type 1 Diabetes, to provide education about Type 1 Diabetes and to increase awareness of Type 1 Diabetes.
The primary goal of the Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation is to raise funds to support cure based research of this terrible disease. The funded research projects would focus mainly on two objectives:
- Finding ways to transplant new insulin producing cells into persons with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Creating devices to perform the duties of the malfunctioning cells.
Our Co-founders' Daughters
- Third Annual Gala February 23, 2019
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: December 12, 2018
- The Clay Cup Fundraiser, December 12–15, 2018
- Pot Pie Fundraiser November 11, 2018
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: November 15, 2018
- Diabetes Camp Scholarship April 1, 2018
- 2018 Bourbon Street Gala: February 24, 2018
- Altoona Mirror article about the 2018 Gala: January 14, 2018
- WTAJ — We Are Central PA Live: November 14, 2017 — World Diabetes Day
- Kids Rule at Texas Roadhouse: August 15, 2017
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: June 29, 2017
- Tour Joslin Diabetes Center: June 5, 2017
- Easter Brunch — Hollidaysburg YMCA: April 8, 2017
- Inaugural Mardi Gras Gala: February 25, 2017
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: December 29, 2016
- Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser: November 17, 2016
- Fabulous Family Fun Night - Hollidaysburg YMCA: November 12, 2016
- WTAJ — We Are Central PA Live: November 11, 2016
- WTAJ — Newton helps raise awareness for type 1 diabetes: July 12, 2016
Day in the Life... as told in 2016/2017
AdultsShow Links . . .
- JDRF Fact Sheet: What is LADA? Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults
- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults
- The Other Diabetes: LADA, or Type 1.5
- What is LADA
ArticlesShow Links . . .
- 7 Things I Wish People Knew About Type 1 Diabetes
- All The Things They Don't Tell You After Being Diagnosed
- Altoona Mirror names Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation as Blair County Nonprofit of the Month
- Diabetes Burnout
- Finding a Wingman with T1D
- First Aid for People with Diabetes
- Food and type 1 diabetes: What school staff need to know
- Hoosiers with Diabetes Petition Indiana General Assembly to Study Drug Pricing
- How Can I Pay for Diabetes Medications and Care?
- How to Manage your Diabetes When its Hot Outside
- How to Talk About Diabetes
- I Can't Sleep
- Myths About Diabetes
- New paper finds EMTs cannot administer glucagon
- Nick Jonas
- T1D in the News - JDRF
- Team Schnak Speaks to Students on T1 Diabetes Awareness
- Top 10 Myths About Type 1 Diabetes
- Why People With Type 1 Shouldn't Compare Themselves with Others
BlogsShow Links . . .
- Back to School: Tips for Providing Adequate Type 1 Diabetes Care in a School Environment
- How to Talk Diabetes in College
- I'm a D-Mom Battling Type 1 Diabetes Alongside my Hero
- Raising Kids & My Own Diabetes: The Challenge I've Always Worked Toward
- Sweetly Voiced
- What I want Others to Understand about Diabetes - The Diabetic Journey
BooksShow Links . . .
- Beating the Odds: 64 Years of Diabetes Health
- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
- Elle and Coach
- Think Like a Pancreas
CampsShow Links . . .
- Children with Diabetes Resource list of camps throughout the US, Canada, and Latin America
- Maryland Overnight Camps; Camp Possibilities Darlington, MD; (302) 563-9460; Ages 8 - 15
- Maryland Overnight Camps; Diabetes Destiny: Extreme Weekend For Children and Young Adults with Diabetes North East, MD; (410) 858-8646; Ages 8 - 17 (Boys and Girls)
- Massachusetts Resident and Overnight; Clara Barton/Camp Joslin Massachusetts; (508) 987-2056; Resident and Family Camps; Offers Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions
- American Diabetes Association Camps
- Pennsylvania Overnight Camps; Camp Freedom, (American Diabetes Association) Schwenksville, PA; (610) 828-5003 ext. 4643; Ages 7 - 16
- Pennsylvania Overnight Camps; Setebaid Diabetes Camps Bethel & Mifflinburg, PA; (570) 524-9090
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Holiday Trails Charlottesville, VA;(434) 977-3781; Resident (young/with sibling & regular) and Family Camps; Multi-chronic conditions and sessions
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Kno-Koma Monongahela National Forest (near Anthony); (844) 560-9987; Ages 7 - 15
- Virginia Overnight Camp; Camp Take Charge of Diabetes (Children's National Medical Center), High View, VA; (202) 476-5142; Family Camp: (Ages 5 - 9+); Resident (Ages 10 - 17)
Etiquette and FactsShow Links . . .
Federal Drug Administration (FDA)Show Links . . .
ForumsShow Links . . .
- American Diabetes Association
- Beyond Type 1 Forum
- Diabetes Daily Forum
- Diabetes Forum
- JDRF TypeOneNation
- Joslin Diabetes Center Discussion Boards
- TuDiabetes (Your Diabetes) Forum
HistoryShow Links . . .
- 5 Little Known Facts about Dr. Frederick Banting
- Discovery of Insulin
- History of Diabetes
- World Diabetes Day
HumorShow Links . . .
- 29 Things Only a Person with Diabetes would understand
- Breaking Up with Diabetes
- Things Only Someone with Diabetes Would Understand
Insulin CostShow Links . . .
- Video - Insulin Access and Affordability: The Rising Cost of Treatment - Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Sign the Petition to Make Insulin Affordable
ManagementShow Links . . .
- Glooko and Diasend
- Sleep: The Most Forgotten Blood Sugar Strategy
- Tight Diabetes Control
- Type 1 University
Parents/Caretakers of Babies, Children, AdolescentsShow Links . . .
- 13 Things All Teachers Should Know about Type 1 Diabetes
- ER Doctor Ordered Insulin When She Was Hypoglycemic
- New to Type 1 Diabetes? Information for Parents
- The Dread of Being a 'Bad' T1 Patient
Parents/Caretakers of TeensShow Links . . .
- In the Spotlight: How Teen Hormones affect Blood Sugar
- Parenting Your Teen with Type 1 Diabetes
- When a Teen Stops Treating His Type 1
ProductsShow Links . . .
- CGM: Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor
- Counting Carbs: AccuChef Home Recipe Nutrition Calculator
- Counting Carbs: Living Cookbook Home Recipe Nutrition Calculator
- Pumps: Animas Insulin Pumps
- Pumps: Medtronic Insulin Pump
- Pumps: OmniPod Insulin Pump
- Pumps: One Touch Ping Insulin Pump and Glucose Meter
- Pumps: Tandem Diabetes Insulin Pumps
- Supplies: A Bluetooth-Enabled Smart Cap for Insulin Pens: Common Sensing's Gocap
- Supplies: Bigfoot & Abbott to Automate Insulin Delivery without Finger Sticks
- Supplies: Frio Insulin Cooling
- Supplies: Pump Peelz
- Supplies: Shapeways Cases
- Supplies: Shapeways OmniPod Personalized Battery Covers
- Supplies: Sugar Medical
- Supplies: Tips for Affording Diabetic Supplies
RecallsShow Links . . .
- September 11, 2017 FDA Announces Voluntary Recall Medtronic Infusion Sets and Medtronic Product and Safety Notice
ResearchShow Links . . .
- Beta Cells: Signal Problems and How to Keep Them
- Bionic Pancreas Passes Critical Science Hurdle
- City of Hope Sets New Goal for Type 1 Diabetes Care
- Diabetes Research Institute
- DRI BioHub
- Harvard Gazette
- Islet Cell Research
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Promising Innovation in T1D Early Detection Emerge Victorious at Diabetes Innovation Challenge
- Regrowth of Beta Cells with Small Molecule Therapy
- Top T1D Advances for 2016 - JDRF
SitesShow Links . . .
- American Diabetes Association
- Beyond Type 1
- D Life
- Diabetes Daily
- Integrated Diabetes
- TuDiabetes (Your Diabetes)
VideosShow Links . . .
- Children with diabetes
- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University
- Dr. Travis Stork — Differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- How dogs sniff out diabetes
- Inside the DRI's Pancreatic Stem Cell Lab
- Insulin Access and Affordability: The Rising Cost of Treatment - Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Researchers in Colorado are hoping stem cells can help the diabetic
- The Diabetic Journey
- The Hardest Thing About Diabetes Isn't What They Think It Is...
- Tips for Parenting a T1D - YouTube
- Type 1 Diabetes Awareness: 'This is our Journey'